Mobile App Development (Beginner, Intermediate)
Ever dreamt of that perfect app that you think would be so cool to have? Wait no more! Give your idea wings by building your own mobile app. Learn the basics of UI/UX design and coding to make user-friendly apps on the Thunkable platform that can even be published on the App Store and the Google Playstore. Two levels with increasing complexity offered based on age and coding experience.
Thunkable is a visual programming platform that enables anyone, even kids, to build fully functional mobile apps in an intuitive and fun way.
Recommended for ages: 8-14 years
Prerequisites: Some familiarity with block-based coding (on Scratch, code.org, or any other similar platform).
Concepts covered: Algorithmic thinking, front end vs back end, UI design, objects, sequencing, events, variables, loops, conditionals, Boolean logic, operators (arithmetic, comparison, logical), functions, local vs cloud data, phone sensors.
Learning Outcomes: On successful completion of the course, kids will be able to:
- Understand what the front end and back end of a mobile app are and how they are designed.
- Identify various UI (user interface) elements of any app and understand their roles and differences.
- Conceptually understand programming fundamentals like sequencing, global vs cloud variables, loops, events, conditionals. These concepts are not limited to just app development.
- Apply these fundamentals to code the backend logic of their apps.
- Create their own iOS and Android apps that are publishable on Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play Store.
- Look at a piece of faulty code and catch and rectify bugs in it.
- Picture how many of the apps they use on a regular basis must have been designed.
Duration: 16 sessions of 1 hour each, to be covered in 8 to 10 weeks